by Gil Hall
Published: 20160524 1033
In this week’s round-up show, Luis Davila Colon and Gil Hall discuss and analyze recent events in Puerto Rico.
- The status of the PR bill that would transition the sales tax (IVU) to a VAT (IVA) in addition to raising the B2B tax.
- The second draft of the US House’s “PROMESA” bill came out last week. Davila Colon explains why he thinks a control board is the wrong approach. A control board, he says, would bring about social unrest and would not accomplish what needs to be done.
- We discuss how PR does not understand the US Congress and vice versa–which has yielded sub-optimal federal and ELA policies.
- Davila Colon frames many of the PR #muniland events of the last three years as the “biggest financial fraud in the history of the United States.” There has been “a pattern of disturbing news that pointed towards a conspiracy to defraud … bondholders and to defraud Congress.”
- Davila Colon: PR should begin to pay federal taxes if it wants to receive more benefits from Congress.
- Davila Colon says the $2-3 billion in accounts payable is “hocus pocus”, and a part of the fraud.